Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Five to One

So, I doubt many of you will really read this. Reading blogs isn't exactly as hip and 90's as it used to be. But I thought it would be fun to write some "behind the scenes" blurbs about Picture Atlantic.

I got a call this morning from our guitarist aaron, that our final mastering of the album is done, and the songs are now officially ours, and in our hands.
Thats pretty exciting. If I had kept a blog of the whole recording process, I think you would realize just how exciting that really is. For us its obviously exciting, because our album is finished.
The band was gracious and humble..and let me name it. I assure you though, I made sure everyone agreed with the name. And that it fit , somehow, in my mind. I named the album Kleos:

Kleos (Greek: κλέος) is the Greek word often translated to "renown", or "glory". It is related to the word "to hear" and carries the implied meaning of "what others hear about you". A Greek hero earns Kleos through accomplishing great deeds, often through his own death.

Theres a lot of reasons for naming it that, spanning all the way from all musicians being pretentious boastful kids, to having a steady love of Greek Mythology all throughout my child hood.

Regardless, it is over. And finished.
We're not really sure what EXACTLY to do with the album, but selling it to people is one option I suppose. We'll also be trying to re-establish ourselves. We spent so much time away from playing shows, and so many shows far and few between, that we're definitely going to focus on promoting the album, and making playing shows a regular habit.

And just out of my own urge to fully explain myself, I just want to say that the album has no big message. There is no political message behind it. I don't claim to divulge the meaning of the "human condition through song" or anything like that through the album. I don't have anything profound to say, as most musicians today really don't. I wrote an album that I love with some people who mean the world to me. I almost positive every important person in my life thus far has had some role on the album, whether it was playing drums , all the way to simply recording claps.

Its a scary thing for me to release this album, for all kinds of reasons really, but its always scary when you try to make something important happen for you. I tried to make this album happen with my friends, and it finally did.So, with that,please enjoy the album when it is officially released, and no matter where you are in life, I pray this album can at least cheer you up in some minor way, as this album is meant for everyone who wants it to be.(hope that didn't sound TOO pretentious and boastful).

-N

No comments: